Looking to apply to become a Bird City? Is it time to complete your community’s annual renewal? If you answered “yes” to either question, you are in the right place.
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BECOME A BIRD CITY?
Bird City Maryland offers two levels of recognition, Bird City and High Flyer, with the latter being for those communities that truly go above and beyond in their dedication to local conservation and education. Every criterion submitted requires a narrative statement that explains your community’s actions and, where appropriate, documentation and photographs that support the narrative. The application/renewal fee is $200.
Bird City Maryland’s recognition criteria are organized in six categories:
- Habitat Creation, Protection, and Monitoring
- Community Forest Management
- Limiting or Removing Threats to Birds
- Public Education
- Energy and Sustainability
- World Migratory Bird Day
WHAT COMES WITH YOUR BIRD CITY STATUS?
- The sense of pride that comes with official recognition that you live in a green community!
- An in-person presentation of your initial award by Bird City Maryland.
- A website for your community on our site to tout your accomplishments.
- Two Bird City Maryland street signs (24″ x 30″) to be hung at prominent locations in your community (additional signs are available for purchase).
- A Bird City Maryland flag (3′ x 5′) to be flown/hung to display your Bird City status (additional flags are available for purchase) OR a banner for light pole banner attachments.
- A recognition plaque suitable for display at the municipal center. Following your annual renewal, Bird City will send you a revised insert for this plaque.
- An electronic copy of our logo to be used on municipal and partner sites and materials.